Elizabeth was called to the Bar in February, 2000. She obtained her Masters of Laws in International and Comparative Law from the University of Notre Dame in 2001 where she graduated magna cum laude. She returned to Canada after her Masters degree and currently practices in the area of civil litigation, including personal injury and accident benefits claims arising from automobile accidents.
Elizabeth has authored and presented numerous papers on a variety of topics including insurance law, employment law, mental health law, accident benefits and punitive damages.
Elizabeth is currently a part-time insurance law professor at the University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law, Common Law Section. Since 2003, she has been on the editorial board of The Litigator
(a publication of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association).
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Insurance Litigation
- 2001 LL.M. University of Notre Dame
- 2000 Called to the Bar of Ontario
- 1998 L.L.B. University of Saskatchewan
- 1995 B.A. University of Western Ontario
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
Papers, publications and presentations
- Recipient of the 2010 Outstanding Young Lawyer Award from the Ontario Trial Lawyers
Association on May 27, 2010
Reported Judicial Decisions
- Quigley, E., Counsel Comments: Duchesne v. St. Denis (November, 2012) November Ontario Take Five Case Summaries, OnPoint Legal Research
- Quigley, E., Voir Dire: Credibility Evidence From a Defence Expert, The Malingering Debate; (November, 2012) Ontario Trial Lawyers Association Fall Conference
- Quigley, E. And Obagi, C., The Intermingling of Labour and Employment Law: Representing Unionized Employees in the Civil Courts (Summer 2006), The Litigator.
- Quigley, E. & Obagi, J., Mental Health Assessments - Are They Bad for One’s Mental Health? Presented to the Canadian Institute Conference on Mental Health Care, April 12, 2006.
- Quigley, B. & Neil, L., When is Homeowners’ Insurance Available in Motor Vehicle Accidents? (Spring 2005), The Litigator.
- Quigley, B., SABS Update: The Recent Five Must-Know Cases (Paper presented at the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association’s Fall Conference, October 22-23, 2004; Paper also presented at the Carleton County Law Association Civil Litigation Conference, November 26-27, 2004)
- Quigley, B., Attendant Care Benefits (Summer 2004), The Litigator.
- Quigley, B., Martin v. Workers’ Compensation Board of Nova Scotia, Case Note (Winter 2003), The Litigator.
- Obagi J. And Quigley, B., Making the MVAC Fund Work for Québec Residents (Paper presented at the Carleton County Law Association Civil Litigation Conference, November 27-28, 2003)
- Quigley, B., Hireback in Small Firms (Presentation at the Ontario Bar Association Excelling At Articles Conference, September 18, 2003).
- Quigley, B., Meeting the “Threshold”: Bill 59 Exceptions to Immunity (Paper presented at the Carleton County Law Association Civil Litigation Conference, November 1-2, 2002).
- Cooligan, R. & Quigley B., Attendant Care Benefits under Bill 59 (Paper presented at the Chronic Pain & Brain Injury Claim Symposium on September, 2002) hosted by Insight Information Co.
- Obagi, J. & Quigley B., Fighting the Insurers From Hell (Paper presented at the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association’s Conference on Bad Faith, April 5, 2002 and the July, 2002 edition of the Advocate’s Quarterly).
- Obagi, J. & Quigley, B., Making the Punishment Meet the Crime: Making a Claim in Punitive Damages (Paper presented at the Carleton County Law Association Civil Litigation Conference, November 5-6, 1999 and to be presented at Spring 2000 conference of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association). Paper was updated and published in the Advocates Quarterly as Obagi, Joseph & Quigley E., Making a Claim for Punitive Damages against First Party Insurers (January, 2001), 24:1 The Advocates’ Quarterly.
- Quigley, B. Enforcing Morality in Contract Law, Masters of Laws Thesis (University of Notre Dame)
- Van Galder v. Economical Mutual Insurance Co.,  O.J. No. 5623 (Ont. C.A.)
- Intact Insurance Co. v. Beaudry,  O.J. NO. 5623 (S.C.J.)
- Duchesne v. St-Denis  112 O.R. (3d) 378 (Ont. C.A)
- Elbakhiet v. Palmer,  O.J. No. 2890 (Ont. S.C)
- Elbakhiet v. Palmer, 2012 ONSC 2529 (Ont. S.C)
- Veolia ES Industrial Services Inc. v. Brulé,  O.J. No. 1183 (Ont. C.A), leave to appeal to S.C.C dismissed with costs
- Lahaie v. Canada (Attorney General), 101 O.R. (3d) 241 (Ont. C.A)
- R. v. Phaneuf,  O.J. No. 5631 (Ont. C.A)
- 1483677 Ontario Ltd. v. Crain  O.J. No. 886 (Ont. S.C)
- 1483677 Ontario Ltd. v. Crain  O.J. No. 5342 (Ont. S.C)
- Ontario v. Phaneuf,  O.J. No. 5618 (Ont. Div. Ct)
- Carley v. ING Insurance Company of Canada, 2009 CanLII 25314 (ON S.C.)
- Lahaie v. Canada (Attorney General)  O.J. No. 5276(S.C.J)
- Pirson v. Gamble (2007) (S.C.J.)
- Poplawski v. Ardelean (2007) 86 O.R. (3d) 774; CarswellOnt 4841 (S.C.J)
- Phaneuf v. Ontario (2007) CarswellOnt 5881(S.C.J)
- Lahaie v. Canada (Attorney General)  O.J. No. 5216 (S.C.J)
- Lavinskas v. Jacques Whitford & Associates Ltd.  O.J. No. 2697 (S.C.J)
- Lavinskas v. Jacques Whitford & Associates Ltd.  O.J. No. 4580 (S.C.J)
- Cousineau v. Perrier  O.J. No. 4526 (Ont C.A), leave to appeal to S.C.C. dismissed with costs
- Maddaloni v. ING Group Commerce  O.J. No. 4499 (Ont C.A)
- Jalakh v. Zimmerman  O.J. 4144 (Ont. C.A.)
- Mul-T- Services v. Slattery (trial decision unreported, 2004)
- Phillips-Renwick v. Renwick Estate (2003) 229 D.L.R.(4th) 158 (S.C.J.)
- Beattie v. National Frontier (2003) 68 O.R. (3d) 60 (Ont. C.A)
- Yourth v. 506555 Ontario Ltd. (trial decision unreported, 2003)
- Russell (Township) Development Charges By-law No. 69-99 (Re)  O.M.B.D.
- No. 1182 (OMB hearing)
- Raymond v. Halifax Insurance  O.F.S.C.I.D. No. 239 (FSCO Appeal)
- Raymond v. Halifax Insurance  O.F.S.C.I.D. No. 41 (FSCO Arbitration)
Back to top